Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Denim Daze

HTML email (kfmyblog.blogspot.com)


Vest-The Limited (Similar here and here) Jeans-Torrid, T-Shirt-Forever21, Shoes-Asos(Sold Out) Similar,                Necklace-Bauble Bar

 







One of the most vivid shopping memories that I have as a teen was shopping for jeans with my Mom.  It was 1994, I was a sophomore in high school and I longed to have a pair of medium wash bootcut jeans from the Gap. At that time Gap jeans were premium denim and everyone had a pair. In the nineties if you were fat and fashionable you were pretty much out of luck. Plus-size jeans were boxy, hard and they came in terrible washes. I, always willing to be innovative with my wardrobe, wore men’s jeans. They were soft, generously cut and they came in all types of washes. I never minded that they had a button fly and didn’t quite fit my hips, I was happy to achieve the look I wanted.

Flash forward to today and there are more jeans styles available in plus-sizes than I ever thought possible. As I was recently cleaning out my closet I realized I had become something of a denim hoarder. My teenage self comes to life and has an irrational fear of not having the right pair of jeans. So I buy any and every pair that fits well. It’s like a tiny victory for a 14 year-old girl who cried on her mother’s shoulder, because buying old lady jeans was her only option.
I am grateful for how far plus-size clothing has come. I am grateful that teenage girls have options and they no longer have to endure the craziness that I went through. I am grateful that I have my choice of denim these days.

What’s your relationship with denim?

J
- Repost by kfmyblog.blogspot.com -
Origi nal post::http://thejenesaisquoi.blogspot.com/2015/04/denim-daze.html

No comments:

Post a Comment